1. The feeling you get when the hot water hits your back at 5am. You know, that shiver up your spine that continues into your head, the skin on your arms rising into tingly goosebumps. Especially nice if you have one of those body washes that smells like lemon (what is it about lemon that wakes you up??).
2. The second cup of coffee. Usually signaling a laid-back day for me, since on most days I’m usually flying out the door while simultaneously sucking down my first cup. I always get warm fuzzies when I hear ads for NPR’s “Second Cup Concert”. The luxury of having a second cup in the morning (and being able to enjoy it) is lovely.
3. The bottom of the laundry hamper. If you don’t do the laundry in your house, you may not be able to appreciate the exquisite splendor of reaching the dusty bottom of your clothes hamper. We don’t use a dryer, so our laundry process (especially with a baby) is longer than usual, so this is a rare treat for us (ME). Rare as in never.
4. The highway restroom after 60 miles of desert.
5. Not waking up to the alarm. Maybe you went to bed early, maybe you just got a good bit of recuperative sleep, but waking up before your alarm goes off, or not having to wake up to one at all, is definitely nice. This may be a foreign concept to you if you have kids, but don’t despair, it’ll happen one day (fingers crossed).
Any others to add to the list? Not just favorite things, here, I’m talking visceral happiness.