Dilemma

HELP, O wise and portentous internet! I have a dilemma. A conundrum. A paradox. I am in a pickle. Help a girl out, will ya?

I currently teach at two universities- part time. For the fall semester, I was hoping for something more permanent. Lo and behold! The heavens opened and tiny cherubim descended bearing an offer unexpectedly arrived from one of the two– the state school.

It must be signed by Friday.

It is temporary- only guaranteed until December. And they’ve gypped me before, moving me from full time to part time. And now back again.

The second place I’m teaching (a private university) has opened a search for a full-timer. Long-term. As in, if I were to interview and get it, I could be there for more than a few months.

But they haven’t even started interviewing yet.

And I have something due on Friday, remember?

I’ve been at the first place for three years. I’ve been at the second for six months. I enjoy both equally, though the working environment is better in the first. The first, though, is part of a potential merger state-wide which could vanish my position if passed by the governor. So, perhaps poof. At the second I hear happy noises, but I’m still repressing the urge to go all Cuba Gooding Jr. on them.

Any thoughts?

(And yes, I know I shouldn’t take advice- or candy- from strangers on the internet. But hey, I’m hoping my readers are up for it. I mean, you read my blog. You must be smart. Or like headaches.)

Advertisements
This entry was posted in language, mission and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Dilemma

  1. Oh no! I was hoping to see what other people were saying but I’m first!

    I don’t know. In this economy, with the state budget the way they are and the grants and such drying up, I think I’d go with whatever one seems best able to withstand all that. If you can even tell.

    This is tough.

  2. Ink says:

    Oh, gosh. That is quite the dilemma! First of all, though, congrats on receiving the offer. That’s cool! Ok, now to sorting.

    If you didn’t take the Friday offer, would you still have both part-times? (Because if things are working now and you’d have to end that in order to take a one-semester job at a place that hasn’t treated you on the up and up before, perhaps that’s not a beneficial move.)

    When is the long-term search position starting?
    (If you won’t be able to keep what you currently have and you take the fall-term one and then switch over should you be hired in the full-time, long-term one? Or would leaving for the fall-term one actually hurt your chances for getting the long-term one?)

    What does your gut say?

  3. Ink says:

    I need to rephrase that second parenthetical above, sorry–here goes.

    When is the long-term search position starting?
    (If you won’t be able to keep what you currently have and do you take the fall-term one, could you easily switch over should you be hired in the full-time, long-term one? Or would leaving for the fall-term one actually hurt your chances for getting the long-term one?)

  4. antropologa says:

    Oh man. Well I know what you know. The second place’s enrollment keeps going up, and one of their absolutely most beloved teachers just left (ahem), and the first place, well, they’re wishy-washy. Basically I have good feelings about you and Place #2. Toughie though. Oof. Bird in hand and all that.

  5. evenshine says:

    Ink- the long-term position begins interviewing at the end of this month. I think there might be some resentment on the part of the second place if I go to the place with the offer and then come back at the end of the term (supposing, of course, that the position dries up).

  6. evenshine says:

    antropologa- the main reason I’d move is the lack of a supremely awesome teacher who just moved to the beach!

  7. faemom says:

    That’s tough. I’d go with Ink says; she’s super smart. Me, I would flip a coin. Hey, it worked for college!

  8. incognitomom says:

    Okay, obviously I’m a day late and a dollar short. And besides I can’t make a decision to save my life so I would have been no help at all. But I’m anxiously awaiting your decision. I hope in the end it all works out for the best no matter what you chose.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s